This 2018 is the 30th anniversary of the release of the first PATE SUGAR ®, a product that has contributed significantly, in this last quarter of a century, to improve the safety of workers.
Outstanding balance of these 30 years
In these 30 years many communities in Spain and in other countries have relied on the quality of IVERNA products at very competitive prices. These years have also enabled IVERNA to be at the forefront of this product segment, developing a range of up to 45 step models based on the different needs of its customers.
The client is considered the center and most important element for the company, which is why IVERNA can boast of having one of the largest ranges of manhole step irons, giving the client the possibility to personalize his manhole step with the logo and color he chooses.
IVERNA’s headquarter in Zaragoza (Spain)
The first manhole step irons that IVERNA sold
Manhole Steps were invented as a result of the problems that arose when accessing the sewage system. Decades ago, step irons were only a steel rod imprisoned with cement and the assembly was much more expensive. In addition, manhole steps were always in poor conditions due to oxidation produced by the aggressive environment inside the inspection chambers. It was in the United States, a pioneer in the field of precast-concrete, where this problem was raised, giving as a solution a manhole step that in addition to a steel rod, had a protective polypropylene layer to gases and aggressive environments in the sewer system.
IVERNA motivated by the success occurred at the other side of the Atlantic Ocean, exported this idea to Europe, being the first Spanish company to bet on this product, investing in machinery and automation in the production process, which helped it to position itself as one of the top-notch companies in access equipment for urban sanitation in the world.
The first manhole step irons were assembled in Zaragoza, the city where the company has its headquarters, and it is still appreciated how the rung keeps its properties intact.
IVERNA is committed to quality
The advantages of the IVERNA manhole step compared to its competition are numerous, among other reasons because it is still committed to quality.
IVERNA always manufactures with virgin polypropylene and calibrated steel rod that has 40% more resistance than the usual steel rods. Only if it is used top quality materials, you can pass the demanding tests required by European Norm EN-13101. Tests that must be done in each batch of 1000 steps, thus giving evidence to the client.
It should be noted that most of IVERNA step irons adapt both curved and straight surfaces, minimizing the stock of their customers and facilitating assembly to the end user. In addition, thanks to acquired experience, IVERNA can adapt the manhole steps to the client’s preference, from the design to the final piece through the construction of the mold or the delivery of prototypes.
Manhole Step Irons can be customized with different colors and anti-slip floors.
PATE SUGAR and its versatility
Polypropylene Step irons have been applied in many unusual situations, but perhaps one of the most demanding and curious was in a Vía de Ferrata, with a new step iron that was made specifically for assembly in high mountain and where the hardness of the rock was a Handicap to consider. This step has the particularity of having a green color to integrate with the landscape. It has a special opening to fit the approved eyebolts for height practice, UV extra protection as well as an inner stainless-steel rod.
Marine step iron was also installed successfully in the stone Burela beacon in the Port of Ferrol. This beacon was built in 1959 and has been for decades an architectural symbol of the town. Located in the marine region of Lugo, this beacon was seriously damaged after one of the storms that shook the coast of Lugo in 2014. IVERNA participated in the reconstruction of the stone Burela beacon located on an islet 800 meters far from the harbour. This project is a perfect example of how demanding is IVERNA with the quality of its polypropylene manhole steps, creating a model capable of withstanding the worst temporary, the crash of waves hitting the beacon, sudden temperature changes or constant solar exposure.
Marine Step Irons installed in Stone Burela Beacon in the Port of Ferrol
PATE SUGAR is an internationalized product
IVERNA, with its PATE-SUGAR range, has been exporting its products since its inception. It has developed an expansion strategy by participating in the most important trade fairs in the sector, both nationally and internationally, where the SMAGUA Trade Fair in Zaragoza, the BIG-5 in Dubai and FEMATEC in Argentina stand out.
IVERNA is currently undergoing an intense process of internationalization and thanks to its external department it has been possible to consolidate successful collaboration with partners in the 5 continents of the world. It is worth remarked the expansion that has taken place in developing countries. This is because iron and bare galvanized steel steps are still used in these territories and the polypropylene step irons are seen as an attractive innovation to increase security in the access to confined spaces.
IVERNA is not just step irons
Although the main products of IVERNA are polypropylene step irons, it also has several manufacturing divisions related to urban sanitation, which include:
- Alquiclima: Division dedicated to the manufacture and rental of Heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) equipment for corporate events, dinners, weddings, tents and industrial facilities. We would highlight the recent HVAC project carried out in the Bridge Pavilion of the Zaragoza Expo that held the celebration of the CONTART 2018 Building Convention.
Evaporative coolers in CONTART 2018 Event (Bridge Pavilion – EXPO Zaragoza)
- Autonomous ventilation equipment for confined spaces: IVERNA has both electric (Pozovent, BVG cabins) and gasoline (Motovent, Turbovent) portable and autonomous air blowers and air exhausters to facilitate vertical work in places with gases and bad odors.
Autonomous air exhauster for confined spaces – Pozovent
SUGARPOD Anti-odor filters with activated carbon for use in urban sanitation, controlled landfills, pumping stations or septic tanks. We would like to stand out a recent project that was accomplished along with the Municipal Water Company of Malaga (EMASA), which treated 11 conflicting wells located in the oldest part of the town, which emanated strong smells bothering pedestrians in the area.
Activated carbon filters to neutralize bad odors coming from the sewage
- Retractable stainless steel handhold entry poles to improve access in confined spaces or vertical walls. Noteworthy is the reinforcement of the potable water supply that was carried out in Port-au-Prince (Haiti), where 46 entry poles were placed in various inspecion chambers. At National level is worthy of attention the access renewal that was carried out at the Barakaldo pumping station with a double handhold entry pole system
Double Stainless-steel entry pole – Pumping Station in Barakaldo (Spain)
- IVERNA GRP Systems: Manufacture of fiberglass cat ladders with safety cage. IVERNA carried out an important project in the industrial warehouse located in Cuarte de Huerva, of the company «Adiego Hermanos», specialist in chemical products. An iron cat ladder that gave access to the facade of the factory that was in very poor conditions was renewed.
Access renewal in the Chemical Factory of “Adiego Hermanos” – Cuarte de Hueva (Spain)
- Flexible ladders for vertical works at height: Manufactured in 3-meter connectable sections made of aluminum and high strength light-weight webbing. IVERNA manufactures Aluflex, adaptable to every field from wells to roofs; and Tejaflex, for specific use on roofs with non-slip platforms. Currently, GAMESA carries out the maintenance of its wind generators with our ALUFLEX ladders.
Flexible portable Ladder Aluflex for vertical Works at heights
- FUNDILOCK anti-theft system to prevent unauthorized access to confined spaces and stop the theft of copper cable. This device serves as a lock for any manhole cover of the market, thanks to its different geometric shapes and finishes. Currently, most of the country’s nuclear power plants protect the subsoil with this patented solution.
FUNDILOCK protecting an electrical manhole (University of Science and Technology – Logroño)
If you want to know more about our products in situ, take the opportunity to visit us at the next SMAGUA 2019 International Water Trade Fair from 5 to 7 February in Zaragoza. See you then!